EPC/Capital Project Estimator
Website Universal Plant Services
EPC/Capital Project Estimator
Headquartered in the Houston metropolitan area, UPS has 14 full-service facilities spanning the U.S. Gulf Coast, West, and Midwest, making it one of the largest specialty service companies in North America. With our demonstrated commitment and capability to address client needs and requirements wherever their operations occur, UPS offers a comprehensive spectrum of revamp, turnaround, maintenance and EPC/capital project services.
Universal Plant Services (UPS) is seeking an EPC/Capital Project Estimator with experience in developing Front End Loading (FEL) and EPC Total Installed Cost (TIC) Estimates. This position will be responsible for planning and executing project estimates to support proposals and project execution phases. UPS operates in the refining, petrochemical, power, pipeline, terminals and energy transition industries.
- Develop conceptual estimates based on Request for Proposal (RFP) or FEL project phase data
- Develop detailed estimates based on RFP, FEED, or EPC project phase data
- Develop the Estimate Plan
- Develop the estimate per a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) or Advanced Work Packaging (AWP)
- Interface with internal UPS organization and external third parties to obtain cost information
- Develop the Basis of Estimate (BOE) – including the scope, execution strategy, level of precision, key assumptions, exclusions, risks, and other critical information
- Perform Material Take Offs (MTOs) – from 2D drawings, documents or 3D models
- Hold estimate planning and review meetings with internal UPS organization and Clients
- Ensure complete scope coverage of the estimate, identify the potential for design growth, and ensure allowances are appropriately used
- Convert estimates into key unit rates and validate with industry benchmarks and internal historical rates.
- Perform Risk Analysis – provide risk analysis results and recommend design allowance, escalation and contingency
- Develop estimating metrics for use in future estimates.
- BS in Engineering, Construction, Construction Management, or other relevant areas (with equivalent experience)
- 10 or more years of experience in estimating in the one or more industries UPS operates in
- Comprehensive understanding of construction means and methods in the site preparation, civil, structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical, and instrumentation disciplines
- Comprehensive understanding of estimating process and procedures
- Comprehensive understanding of incorporating a WBS or AWP into estimates
- Advanced MS Excel and Monte Carlo modeling skills
- Experience and expertise in using Aspen Capital Cost Estimate (ACCE) and/or Sage Timberline estimating software
- Ability to work within a high-performance, cross-functional organization with extremely tight timelines and aggressive goals
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills
- Demonstrated problem solving ability in cross-functional environment
- Open-minded, collaborative, and team oriented attitude
- Strong work ethic