IT Support Technician I
Reports to: Support Team Lead
Department/Division: IT Department/Support Team
Summary of Position:
Installs, tests, upgrades, troubleshoots, and repairs computer systems, software, and peripherals. Manages user account information, including password and network groups. Relies on established guidelines and instructions to perform daily job functions. Works under immediate supervision.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide first level hardware and software support to local and remote computer users using documented procedures and available tools.
- Fulfill hardware, software and peripheral/accessory requests as assigned from the help desk.
- Respond to and complete IT help tickets in a timely manner, escalating larger or more complex issues to appropriate IT staff.
- Image and repair computer systems for new and existing users
- Set up and move workstations as needed, including docking stations, monitors, printers, scanners, etc.
- Install system software and cabling of minimal complexity as requested.
- Troubleshoot PC peripheral problems and network connectivity issues of minimal complexity.
- Set up and troubleshoot mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, and air cards.
- Troubleshoot basic desk phone issues, such as voicemail password resets, voicemail mailbox resets, cabling, name changes, etc.
- Set up user/email accounts and troubleshoot issues of minimal complexity.
- Set up building access badges and troubleshoot issues of minimal complexity.
- Troubleshoot A/V issues in conference rooms of minimal complexity.
- Replace defective IT components, and provide technical assistance as directed.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with all IT policies, procedures, and processes relating to job duties.
- Perform other IT related duties as assigned by management, such as in-store equipment pickup, vendor/contractor walk throughs, e-waste recycling etc.
- Contribute to the continual improvement of departmental processes and tools.
Education & Experience:
- Associate Degree in IT related field preferred
- Relevant technical training and/or certifications (e.g., Microsoft, A+, etc.) a plus
- Prior experience in a technical support role preferred. Candidates without prior experience should demonstrate an understanding of what is required to support the IT of a business. This person would show a willingness to be trained and to build on skills gathered in a home or small office environment, such as malware/virus removal, setting up home wi-fi, home networks, installing hardware and software, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics:
- Proficient computer skills including desktop computing systems hardware and software.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service, including a friendly attitude, empathy towards users, patience, attention to detail, good communication, sense of urgency, creativity, etc.
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Some understanding of Microsoft Active Directory a plus
- Experience with Windows computers and Apple/Android mobile devices a plus
- Experience with Dell Hardware a plus
- Experience with Office 365 a plus
- Experience with ServiceNow Help Desk a plus
- Experience with Bomgar a plus
- Experience with NEC phones a plus
- Ability to work in a team environment and to take direction.
- Ability to work in a multi-tasked environment.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible schedule.
- Ability to support multiple sites across Houston.
- Ability to recognize when an incident needs to be escalated.
- Ability to occasionally work after hours or on the weekend.
- Ability to lift equipment weighing 25 lbs. or less.
- Collaborative team spirit, high levels of initiative and drive to contribute to the continual improvement of the IT Department.