Website Universal Plant Services
Universal Plant Services (UPS) is a top-tier specialty service company headquartered in Houston, with 16 full-service facilities across the United States. With over 30 years of experience serving the energy industry, we are committed to exceeding client expectations by delivering world-class equipment service capabilities. We offer comprehensive project management, construction, installation, maintenance, and repair services for daily maintenance requirements, turnarounds, and capital projects. Our culture is deeply rooted in our dedication to excellence, and we take pride in being a trusted partner for our clients. Our goal is to continue delivering the highest levels of professionalism and quality while remaining at the forefront of the specialty service industry.
UPS Industrial is now accepting resumes for a Lead Estimator. The ideal candidate will have excellent estimating skills and a superior knowledge of heavy piping and mechanical projects to develop comprehensive and detailed industrial project cost estimates, including written proposal letters and cost breakdowns, for a variety of projects based on latest available cost information and data from internal and external sources. This position will be based at our office in Corpus Christi, TX.
- Prepares detailed estimates in accordance with the scope of work, performing quantity take-offs, determining manpower, equipment requirements, material items and subcontractors.
- Provides support in the development of estimating standards, procedures and systems for the estimating of bids and proposals
- Leads multiple projects simultaneously by coordinating and assisting the Estimating Team and training of Jr. Level estimating personnel.
- Attend internal kick-off meetings with Project Management, Engineering, and/or Construction groups, ensuring proper handover of estimate information upon award of a project.
- Ability and willingness to travel out-of-town to perform job walks (usually involves overnight stay).
- Work with internal project stakeholders to gather all relevant information to prepare accurate project estimates.
- Coordinate identification of areas of risk in the compilation of cost estimates and evaluate appropriate levels of contingency.
- Prepare comparison of current and previous estimates and actualized project costs.
- Develop tools and future benchmarking to enhance estimation competencies.
- Develop and maintain intelligence regarding trends in cost of services, materials, and commodities in the various regions in which the company operates.
- List line-item estimates as needed with the goal of achieving the most optimized estimates in a timely fashion.
- Create and maintain unit-cost database and published cost indices to prepare estimates.
- Prepare comparison of current and previous estimates and actualized project costs
- Work with team members to define a WBS (Work Breakdown Structure) consistent with customer and project requirements.
- Heavy estimating experience
- Advanced math abilities (test is required).
- Ability to prepare estimates and budgets with a high degree of accuracy.
- 10+ years Industrial/Petrochem experience with heavy piping, exchangers, vessels, and mechanical required.
- Ability to read construction drawings.
- Intermediate to advanced MS Excel and MS Word skills.
- Above average grammar skills to generate proposal letters.
- Analytical thinker with the ability to multi-task and manage time effectively.
Universal Plant Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or physical or mental disability.