Procurement Clerk / Field Buyer
Website Universal Plant Services
Headquartered in the Houston metropolitan area, Universal Plant Services has 14 full-service facilities spanning the U.S. Gulf Coast, West, and Midwest, making it one of the largest specialty service companies in North America. With our demonstrated commitment and capability to address client needs and requirements wherever their operations occur, UPS offers a world of equipment service capabilities.
For 30 years, Universal Plant Services (UPS) has been a comprehensive service provider for the energy industry, providing project management, installation, maintenance and repair services for rotating and fixed equipment for daily maintenance requirements, turnarounds, and capital projects.
***THIS POSITION WILL REQUIRE TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE STATE OF TEXAS UP TO 6 MONTHS OF THE YEAR***
Universal Plant Services is searching for a Procurement Clerk / Field Buyer to work out of our Deer Park, TX office. The primary function of Procurement is to economically and efficiently source, quote, requisition, and purchase items needed to successfully execute our scope of work in the field, shop, and offices. These items include but are not limited to material, rental equipment, tools, and office supplies. The procurement department also coordinates with corporate accounting with setting up vendors, corporate contracts with setting up subcontractors, and accounting to resolve matching errors.
These tasks will be accomplished while adhering to a strict standard of business ethics and integrity and high levels of internal customer satisfaction are required. The Procurement Clerk works closely with both Purchasing management and employees of multiple divisions at levels up to and including directors and general managers in a technical and/or specialist role.
This position assists with the negotiation, development and implementation of agreements that maximize value and support customer initiatives, standardizes material, services and suppliers. The position will work on the definition and resolution of known or anticipated problems in value, quality, feasibility, and specifications in the procurement of goods and services, while contributing cost savings and other value added activity to support customer needs and expectations.
1. Receive purchase requisitions from field and identify what is needed
2. Prepare, maintain, and review purchasing files, reports and price list
3. Compare prices, specifications, and delivery dates in order to determine the best bid among potential suppliers
4. Maintain conformity to departmental policies
5. Track status of requisitions, and orders
6. Receive delivered items and identify PO line items on the packing slips
7. Track and inventory rental equipment on the job
8. Various amounts of administrative duties as required by the Procurement Coordinator
9. Basic knowledge of the purchase order module in Viewpoint (Our ERP software)
10. Basic knowledge of material such as pipe, valves, and fittings
11. Other duties as assigned
A Procurement Clerk can progress within the role by expanding their understanding of each of the above listed job tasks. As more proficiency is shown in each area, the possibility for advancement into the Procurement Coordinator Job is possible.
PROCUREMENT COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION:
A Procurement Coordinator has demonstrated a mastery of all procurement clerk responsibilities and has a strong understanding off additional responsibilities required in the procurement field. The procurement coordinator must always retain the skills of and abilities of a procurement clerk.
1. The skills and abilities that separate a Procurement Coordinator from a Procurement Clerk are as follows:
2. Researches and selects vendors in given circumstances, evaluates vendor performance, and utilizes different vendor sources to fill as directed
3. Searches out alternate vendors or suppliers during periods of shortages or stock-outs
4. Responsible for coordinating the setup of vendors with corporate accounting
5. Responsible for coordinating the setup of subcontracts with corporate contracts
6. Processes requisitions for supplies, researches products, clarifies specifications, documents competitive bidding, and inputs and places purchase orders
7. Review requisition orders in order to verify accuracy, terminology, and specifications
8. Respond to customer and supplier inquiries about order status, changes, or cancellations
9. Prepare pricing proposals for Estimating of projects
10. Strong understanding of the committed vs actual job cost and its impact on a job
11. Contact suppliers in order to schedule or expedite deliveries, resolve shortages, missed or late deliveries, and other problems.
12. Maintains an up-to-date filing system on pricing and vendors to ensure immediate and accurate access to information and ensures that the pricing corresponds with national pricing agreements
13. Coordinate with accounts payable on purchase order line item discrepancies
14. Coordinate with vendors at the end of a project to receive final billing
15. Close out open line items on complete projects
16. Read and understand the contract to ensure that the company is billing third party items in accordance with the contract
• 1 to 3 years of experience as a buyer – preferably in refinery related capacity
• Up to six (6) months of travel will be required outside the State of Texas
• High School Diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred but not required
• Must be organized and efficient, able to work in a fast-paced environment
• Must have excellent organizational and follow-up skills
• Microsoft Outlook and Excel proficient
• Expediting experience
• Experience with AEP systems such as Oracle, SAP, or Viewpoint.