Safety Technician – Whiting, Indiana
Website Universal Plant Services
Headquartered in the Houston metropolitan area, Universal Plant Services has 14 full-service facilities spanning the U.S. Gulf Coast, West, and Midwest, making it one of the largest specialty service companies in North America. With our demonstrated commitment and capability to address client needs and requirements wherever their operations occur, UPS offers a world of equipment service capabilities.
For over 30 years, Universal Plant Services (UPS) has been a comprehensive service provider for the energy industry, providing project management, installation, maintenance and repair services for rotating and fixed equipment for daily maintenance requirements, turnarounds, and capital projects.
Universal Plant Services Industrial Division is in search of a Safety Technician for upcoming work in Whiting, Indiana. This position will be working Maintenance and Turnarounds as needed. Position could be long term, generally working 4-10’s and overtime as needed with no Per Diem.
- Act as Safety representative on field projects to ensure the project is performed safely and in compliance with company and client policies and legal requirements.
- Ensure compliance with safety policies and procedures, through training, conducting audits and on-site project management, being present on the job site to observe work and assist in the safe performance of work, conducting safety meetings, and providing data and reports as requested.
- Maintain relationships with local occupational medical clinics and doctors.
- Manage employee injuries, monitor treatment and return to work, as well as modified duty for recovering employees.
- Enforce company and client safety policies and procedures on the job.
- Ensure records of employee training, qualifications, fit testing, permits, etc. are in order on the project.
- Participate in safety and housekeeping inspection and audit programs for all active work sites to detect existing or potential injury risks or hazards, determine corrective or preventative measures, and track corrective actions
- Implement behavioral safety systems and specific awareness campaigns to promote increased employee involvement and awareness of safety.
- Develop strong working relationships with Superintendents and Foremen through regular face to face meetings and communications of safety progress.
- Represent the Company as requested in client meetings and other similar activities.
- Conduct investigations of incidents and accidents, consistent with corporate standards, providing all reports and notifications as required or requested.
- Conduct daily safety surveys of company and subcontractor operations to ensure compliance with OSHA, UPS and client safety policies and procedures.
- Identify unsafe acts/conditions and initiate corrective actions with responsible supervision.
- Maintain current knowledge of all applicable OSHA, as well as state, local and governmental safety and health regulations. Coordinate and help facilitate the administration of such requirements of job site.
- Prepare safety bulletins, alerts, and toolbox safety meeting topics as directed.
- Review, attended, and audit craft safety meetings to ensure effectiveness.
- Conduct safety orientations for new hires as needed.
- Inform site safety manager daily, of all serious non-compliance safety discrepancies.
- Notify supervisor in timely manner of project safety program process or unresolved safety problem/issues.
- Provide basic first aid treatment for non-serious injuries and/or illnesses.
- Render emergency medical treatment. (If properly trained), for serious injuries and/or illnesses. Arrange transport of employees with serious injuries/illnesses to local medical facilities.
- Any other tasks as deemed necessary by management
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- This position is a physically mobile position, requiring the ability to navigate within a construction and manufacturing environment, as well as an office environment.
- Must be able to lift, carry and manipulate at least 45 pounds consistently.
- Must be able to drive a vehicle;
- Accurate and clear vision and hearing.
- The position requires the use of a phone and computer, requiring sufficient digital manipulation skills to utilize a computer keyboard, mouse, telephone and numerous tools.
- Sufficient body dexterity to bend, stop, and reach for or otherwise gather tools, construction materials and office materials and equipment on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time, as well as stand for extended periods.
- Ability to maintain a clear, understandable speaking voice, capable of communicating vital business information to internal/external contacts.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of two years of safety experience for an industrial process manufacturing company or industrial construction company.
- A minimum of three years of experience in the energy, chemical, petro-chemical or similar process industry is required. Experience and understanding of chemical/petroleum plant operations preferred.
- Formal Professional Safety training and certification required (CSST / ASHM)
- OSHA 501, 10 and 30 hours training certification a plus.
- Working knowledge of standard office software, including Microsoft Powerpoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a professional presence required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.