Website Universal Plant Services
Universal Plant Services (UPS) is a top-tier specialty service company headquartered in Deer Park, TX, with 16 full-service facilities across the United States. With over 30 years of experience serving the energy industry, we are committed to exceeding client expectations by delivering world-class equipment service capabilities. We offer comprehensive project management, construction, installation, maintenance, and repair services for daily maintenance requirements, turnarounds, and capital projects. Our culture is deeply rooted in our dedication to excellence, and we take pride in being a trusted partner for our clients. Our goal is to continue delivering the highest levels of professionalism and quality, all while remaining at the forefront of the specialty service industry.
Universal Plant Services is searching for an Analyzer Designer to join our team. This position works directly with Project Specialists to determine proper analytical system integration solutions then designs instrumentation and analytical equipment systems for the petrochemical/refining industry applications.
- Design instrumentation and analytical equipment systems for petrochemical/refining industry applications.
- Support the analytical system integration project business by the creation of detailed drawings and development/requisition of the project Bill of Material.
- Provide support to project management, engineering, materials personnel, and craftsmen throughout the phases of all projects assigned.
- Responsible for the planned financial performance, delivery reliability, and customer satisfaction for all projects assigned.
- Work directly with the project specialist to determine the proper analytical system integration solution for the application.
- Assist in the evaluation/selection of equipment to ensure the solution offered meets the requirements of the customer specifications.
- Create detailed 2D AutoCAD drawings in .dwg format for shelters, cabinets, or racks including the following drawing types: plan views, elevations, electrical power/signal/communication wiring diagrams, utility piping and tubing schematics, sample conditioning system flow schematics, detailed sample probe drawings, alarm system (relay or PLC) detailed wiring diagrams, and fabrication drawings.
- Develop the project Bill of Materials.
- Create material requisitions for the purchase of equipment.
- Support craftsmen during the production phase of the project.
- Finalize design documentation to represent “as built” condition.
- Review equipment placement, power/signal wiring terminations, piping/tubing routing & connections, and part numbers for Bill of Material.
Additional Work Group Support Functions
- Support both the P.M. and the project specialist as needed with development of RFQ proposals.
- Assist project specialist with field surveys, defining design scope and manhours, material needs, gathering material and equipment costs for the preparation of RFQ proposals.
- Assures design complies with scope of work as well as all applicable codes and client standards.
- Manage deliverable progress to assure that budgeted manhours are not exceeded and provides weekly updates to P.M.
- Manage change order log and generate change orders with assistance of Specialist for submittal by P.M.
- Responsible for creating and issuing material and equipment requisitions to procurement under direction of project specialist.
- Provide shop fabrication support as required, and coordinate maintenance of master FAT documents throughout fabrication phase.
- Responsible for assuring all As Build comments are incorporated at completion of fabrication phase and issuing final job book to customer.
Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working with a manufacturer of analytical equipment or analyzer system integrator
- Must have a strong working knowledge of AutoCAD software.
- Post secondary education / training in Instrumentation field required
- AS Degree in Engineering Design or Technology preferred
- Understanding of electrical equipment including panelboards, transformers, circuit breakers, lighting, receptacles, and disconnect switches.
- Ability to calculate transformer size and balance phases.
- Ability to specify panelboards and size circuit breakers/conductors for each user that is to be powered.
- Working knowledge of relay logic and PLCs for alarm system applications.
- Working knowledge of analytical systems integration including analyzer shelters and sample conditioning systems.
- Working knowledge of codes/standards: NEC, IEC, API, NFPA
- Understanding of hazardous area classifications.
- Experience with NEMA 7 electrical equipment for hazardous areas.
- Knowledge of analyzers including Gas Chromatographs, UV/IR Continuous Gas Analyzers, Paramagnetic Continuous Gas Analyzers, FTNIR, CEMS, pH & conductivity, TOC, Zirconium Oxide / Catalytic Bead stack analyzers.
Universal Plant Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or physical or mental disability.