Website Universal Plant Services
Headquartered in the Houston metropolitan area, Universal Plant Services has 14 full-service facilities spanning the U.S. Gulf Coast, West, and Midwest, making it one of the largest specialty service companies in North America. With our demonstrated commitment and capability to address client needs and requirements wherever their operations occur, UPS offers a world of equipment service capabilities.
For over 30 years, Universal Plant Services (UPS) has been a comprehensive service provider for the energy industry, providing project management, installation, maintenance and repair services for rotating and fixed equipment for daily maintenance requirements, turnarounds, and capital projects.
UPS Industrial is in search of experienced Carpenters who are interested in joining our team. Ideal candidates should be local to the Whiting, Indiana area, be experienced and proficient in their craft, and able to read and understand blueprints, plans, or other drawings. These positions will be working Maintenance and Turnarounds as needed. Positions could be long term, generally working 4-10’s and overtime as needed with no Per Diem.
- Must be able to pass drug screen
- Must be able to pass background check
- Must be able to pass a physical and PFT/FIT test
- Must be committed to safety and quality
- Build wooded structures, such as stairs, concrete forms, scaffolds, and temporary frame shelters, according to blueprints, or oral instructions.
- Examine blueprints, sketches or building plans for to determine material required and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
- Selects, loads, and hauls job material to work site.
- Prepares layout of form or fixture to be fabricated using lines or grades.
- Measures boards, timbers, or plywood using square, measuring tape and ruler then marks cutting lines on materials using pencil or scriber.
- Shapes materials to required sizes using saws, chisels, and planes.
- Verifies accuracy of structure with transit, plumb bob, square and level.
- Uses carpentry hand tools such as hammers, levels, squares, screw drivers, adjustable, wrenches, hand and power saws, drill motors and pry bars.
- Nails cleats (braces) across boards to construct concrete-supporting forms.
- Braces forms in place with timbers, tie rods, and anchor bolts for use in building concrete piers, footings, and walls.
- Erects frame work for structures and lays sub-flooring.
- Cuts and assembles timbers to build trestles and cofferdams.
- Erects scaffolding for buildings and other structures and installs ladders, handrails, walkways, platforms, and gangways.
- Constructs forms, chutes, and aligns form panels for pouring concrete and grout.
- Fits and installs pre-fabricated window frames, doors, weather stripping interior and exterior trim and finished hardware. Fits and nails sheathing on outer walls and roofs of buildings.
- Sets and braces anchor bolts.
- Performs minor maintenance or cleaning activities with tools and equipment.
- Ability to tie rebar.
- Operation of electric and pneumatic tools.
- May rig materials.
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules.
- Performs other duties as required
- Help maintain a safe and clean work environment
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years Carpenter experience in Industrial or Petrochemical setting
- NCCER certification a plus
- Knowledge of building codes, industry standard concepts, practices, and procedures.
- May be required to pass a craft test