Website Universal Plant Services
Headquartered in the Houston metropolitan area, Universal Plant Services has 14 full-service facilities spanning the U.S. Gulf Coast, West, and Midwest, making it one of the largest specialty service companies in North America. With our demonstrated commitment and capability to address client needs and requirements wherever their operations occur, UPS offers a world of equipment service capabilities.
For over 30 years, Universal Plant Services (UPS) has been a comprehensive service provider for the energy industry, providing project management, installation, maintenance and repair services for rotating and fixed equipment for daily maintenance requirements, turnarounds, and capital projects.
Summary of Position
The Training Manager is responsible for supporting UPS’ culture, policy and training objectives, specifically the day-to-day oversight of the training program related to both field and administrative activities for the execution of safe work, in support of UPS business units. The responsibilities and duties below are designed as guidelines regarding the knowledge and activity of training in required areas.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Provides training, development, and learning services through the implementation of strategic training initiatives, curriculum design, training delivery, and group facilitation.
- Identify and develop future and current training needs through job analysis, career paths, annual performance appraisals and consultation with Operations Managers.
- Administer an overall or individualized training and development plan that addresses needs and expectations.
- Administer the UPS Training Learning Management System.
- Deploy a wide variety of training methods.
- Conduct effective induction and orientation sessions.
- Monitor and evaluate training program’s effectiveness, success, and ROI periodically and report on them.
- Manage training budget.
- Provide opportunities for ongoing development.
- Resolve any specific problems and tailor training programs as necessary.
- Maintain a keen understanding of training trends, developments, and best practices.
- Submit Training Reports to Operations and Corporate HSE leadership.
- Ensure all training is available for use and are completed accordingly.
- Ensure data collection is completed as required.
- Use data trends to identify areas of focus and make recommendations for improvement.
- Coordinate with project supervision and HR department to support UPS’ training program.
- Collaborate with site / project leadership to prepare and submit training plans as needed.
- High School diploma
- HSE coursework experience
- Proven work experience as a trainer or training manager
- Track record in designing and executing successful training programs
- Familiarity with traditional and modern training methods (mentoring, coaching, on-the-job or in classroom training, e-learning, workshops, simulations etc.)
- Ability to plan, multi-task and manage time effectively
- Strong writing and record keeping ability for reports and training materials
- Good computer and database skills
- BS degree in adult education or relevant field
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of direct training experience in the petrochemical, refining or related industry.
- Minimum 5 or more years of experience in curriculum design, development writing of objective-based training guidelines and the creation of tools.
- Strong knowledge of the Operator Qualifications (OQ), NCCER Accreditation Program and/or Union Apprenticeship Programs.
- This position requires communication, organization, planning and leadership.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a professional presence required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with organizational stakeholders of all levels.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- This position requires intermittent extended work hours and the ability to lift 40 pounds. This position requires physical capabilities of climbing stairs, ladders, and long-term standing.
Computer Skill Requirements
- Must be functional in SharePoint, Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Computer and phone application literate.
- Must have a current driver’s license and meet the requirements of the fleet/vehicle policy.
- This position could have direct reports, determined by Director of HSE.
- This position requires work both field and office settings. Up to 25% travel may be required based on business needs.